Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Links and References

So, I thought I'd dedicate at least one entry to links and references.

Web Links:

The first is a link to a recent interview between President Kagame and CNN’s GPS talkshow host Fareed Zakaria:

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13963&article=17746

The second is a speech Kagame gave about the new arrival of Peace Corps in Rwanda:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pres-paul-kagame/a-different-discussion-ab_b_213370.html

Books:

I strongly, STRONGLY recommend the book "A Thousand Hills" by Kinzer. I just finished reading it, and, although it is definately written through Kinzer's point of view, it is an extremely comprehensive book about the history of Rwanda, the events leading up to the genocide, and life in Rwanda afterwards. The book includes interviews with Kagame, quotes from Romeo Dallaire (the UN General who was in Rwanda during the genocide), and many, many others. Some of the people mentioned and interviewed in this book are people I have actually met and spoken with--- Rwanda is a small world.

I also recommend "Land of a Thousand Hills" by Rosamond Halsey Carr. This is less of a historical manuscript and more of an autobiography by Ros Carr, an American who lived most of her life in Rwanda, from the early 50s until her passing a few years ago. At the time, she was Rwanda's oldest living resident. I didnt enjoy this nearly as much as Kinzer's book, but it still offers a different perspective, and it's worth a read.

I've also been told that "We Wish to Inform You" is a good book, but I have not read it yet. Comments to come later.

Movies/documentaries:

I have not yet seen that many movies and documentaries, but the ones I've seen and liked were:

Sometimes in April.
Once again, about the genocide, but I feel like it paints a much more realistic picture than most movies. Personally, I'm not a big fan of 100 Days or Hotel Rwanda. They seem contrived and I am told that they are historically innacurate.

Shake Hands With the Devil: The Journey of Romeo Dallaire, is a CBS documentary film about, you guessed it, Romeo Dallaire. I missed the very beginning of this documentary, but I enjoyed it very much. It cronicles Dallaire's return to Rwanda after ten years. It won a Sundance Film Festival Award.

I have yet to see, but plan to see, Ghosts of Rwanda, a PBS Frontline documentary. I have gotten mixed reviews about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment